Monday, February 2, 2009

My first time skiing




So this past Sunday we went skiing. Jeremy is a really good skier and used to be a ski instructor. I used to snowboard and I was really not successful so I felt sure I HAD to be better on skis. Jeremy and I have an "adopted" niece and nephew. Joni and Justin are the kids of one of my former co-workers and we totally dig spending time with them. Joni was up for the weekend so much of this ski trip also had to do with her since she totally wanted to ski.

Due to inclement weather on Saturday, I became a SACRIFICIAL LAMB and gave up one of THE most important days of the year...Superbowl Sunday. We got up early in the AM and set off to Mount Hood Meadows where Joni and I were signed up for a ski lesson and rentals. Admittedly i was little crabby on the way up, as visions of snowboard falls were filling my head.

On my way...my boots were on and I was told to carry my skis and poles. A little challenging while trying to navigate the snow but made it to the bunny hill. After moving around on one ski for a bit and then trying to climb up the "hill" using sidestepping, we were finally on our way to the magic carpet. A Terrible terrible machine. It was basically a moving floor (like those in airports), contained in a tubular structure with no handles to hold onto. I scooted my way up to the rubber and just as I thought I was on...I was SOOOO NOT. I fell with this giant line of people behind me. As i lay there I hear my instructor tell everyone else, "oh, i forgot, you need to bend your knees a little forward as you get on". hmmm. Nice information to know BEFORE this.

Anyway...i gave up from my lesson a little early because i was so thirsty and wanted to sit down. After a bit we all headed to buttercup where we were to begin the afternoon round. My first time down I bit it, Hard. I got my ski pole caught under the front of my ski and flipped backward and landed hard on the center of my back. The wind was knocked out. That was end of my ski day. I hurt and was tired and a nice warm lodge with a superbowl on tv sounded better. I went in, had myself a pint of Pipeline Porter, put my comfy smartwool socks on and had myself a fine old time. And did i mention that Joni is a total pro?? figures. Hehehe.

In the pics Joni the pro is the ski girl and obviously I am the stander. look at my fake smile. underneath those goggles I had been crying me eyes out for about 15 minutes, all the way from the mountain to the lodge I say...

1 comment:

JPB said...

I've still never been skiing!